Thursday, February 21, 2008

Praying to Jesus

Lately I have been thinking about the whole idea of praying to Jesus. These days we have a few Christian kids CD's that get played for Archie's sake (although we should come clean about the fact that we owned quite a few of them long before we became parents- we think Colin is hilarious!). In all our listening though, I've noticed that there are lots of songs about praying to Jesus, not the Father. From my point of view this isn't the biggest deal in the world- I would rather that there be lots of kids songs encouraging kids to pray to Jesus than none at all, but I can't get this lingering question out of my head: If Jesus taught us to pray 'Our Father...' why do we teach kids to pray to Jesus, rather than to the Father?

What do you think?

1 comments:

SamR said...

Hey Jane,

I've thought about this before too.

I agree that a good theology of prayer is "in the spirit, through the son and to the father."

But there are examples in the scriptures of prayers to Jesus (steven in acts before his death) and to the spirit (I had a reference for this once - must track it down). So I wouldn't be too tight on it either...